Veganuary is here and its a perfect way of testing delicious vegan dishes. I know it sounds scary for a lot of people to have a whole meal without animal products, but believe me - this lasagne is delicious and filling, and the positive part, its better for your health, the animals and the planet.
I hope you like my recipe :) If you recreate any of my recipes - tag on Instagram with #honeyandroots @honeyandroots for a chance to be featured.
This recipe serves 4 and preperation time is 90min
2 tins of quality plum tomatoes
1-2 tomatoes (sliced)
800g spinach (frozen or fresh)
4 Cloves of Garlic (chopped)
100g Sundried tomatoes
100g pine nuts
1 Big bunch of Fresh basil (60g)
1/2 nutmeg, for grating
1 bay leaf
250g Plant-based Cream fraiche (I used Oatly Organic cream)
300g lasagne sheets or 2 sliced courgettes
Vegan cheese for topping (optional)
Olive oil for cooking
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven on 200°C
2. Cook the garlic carefully in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for about 1minute or until just starting to colour, stirring regularly. Put aside.
3. Add the tins of tomatoes to a sauce pan, add the bay leaf and half of the already cooked garlic. Cook for around 1 hour, or until thickened and reduced. Stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, Finley slice and cook the mushrooms and onion in olive oil and season with nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until just starting to colour, stirring regularly.
5. Add the spinach to a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook until the spinach is tender and mix with the mushrooms, the vegan cream fraiche, garlic and the sun-dried tomatoes.
6. Toast the pine nuts and add to the spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
7. In a baking dish, layer the lasagne sheets (or sliced courgettes), spinach and tomato sauce. Finish with a layer of pasta or courgette topped with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with vegan cheese (optional).
8. Bake for 30minutes.
9. Once cooked, remove the lasagne from the oven and leave to stand for 30minutes. Serve with a fresh seasonal salad.
If you like the content that I’m sharing on this blog, please subscribe to my updates below and follow me on Instagram.